Dee-Sign is a choir that performs to popular music in British Sign Language.
British Sign Language (BSL) is the official language of Deaf people in the UK. We translate the words of many popular songs into BSL and perform at events – in most cases collecting for our charity whilst doing so.
Our name is a combination of the RIVER DEE, and SIGN.
The aims of Dee-Sign are:-
- To promote Deaf Awareness and the beauty of BSL
- To fund raise for D/deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing people in Chester & District
- To increase the vocabulary of BSL students; helping them further their studies
- To support BSL students studying BSL
- To enable anyone with any type of hearing loss to join a choir and enjoy music, no singing necessary.
- To introduce profoundly Deaf people to the wonderful world of music.
- In 2012Dee-Sign choir were awarded the MBE the queen’s award for voluntary services.
- In march 2017 we competed and won the first UK held BSL choir competition held in Nottingham in the Albert Hall, competing against 9 other BSL choirs from all over the UK.
- In 2010, 2011 and 2015 we won the signing choirs competition in the Jersey Eisteddfod held in St.Helier opera house, where we competed in sections for senior choirs and junior choirs, and we achieved gold, silver and platinum – receiving beautiful trophies.
- Since forming in 1997 we have raised over £180,000 for the charity we support – Chester & District Committee for deaf people.